Friday, September 10, 2010

Joshua in a Male Model Portrait Portfolio in Sheffield


Joshua_0004, originally uploaded by Jon W. Howson.

I have recently decided to step outside my comfort zone with my photography. I have shot lots of portraits for women, but rarely, if ever, done so for men. That is until Joshua was directed my way by a mutual friend who I had shot before. You have got to love the power of mouth to mouth publicity.

One of the problems that I came up against was with the posing. I have so many tips and ideas running through my head for how to pose a woman and to make her look feminine, but hardly any for a man. The only two tips that came to mind, were not to pose the head towards the higher should, and to have the whole body in two directions, that is the body facing one way, and the face and eyes in another. A woman though could have body facing one direction, her head a second, and her eyes a third.

So, the above image is just one of a series images taken for Joshua. They were taken in Whirlow Brook Park in Sheffield, and tried to show a variety of clothing styles.

Does anybody have any additional tips to improve my work with male posing and portfolio development?

No comments:

Post a Comment